Similarly the name of the college was changed from Govt. Chhattisgarh P.G.College to Govt. J.Yoganandam Chhattisgarh College as an honour to its founder Principal Shri J.Yoganandam by the State Government on 13/06/2008, approved by the parent University on 14/11/2008 and subsequently by UGC on 20/07/2012. In 1950 the PG programmes in Political Science was introduced. Another major milestone in the development of the college was the taking over of the college by the State Govt. on 1st Oct 1982 and the introduction of Science and Law faculty in 1984. On 14 Dec. 1996 the college was granted the status of a Post Graduation college. Thereafter in 1996 the college was recognised as an Autonomous College by the State Govt. and UGC.
The College which began with 10 students in 1938 has at present strength of more than 2969 students. Most of the students of the College belong to the underprivileged and poor sections of the society who are benefited through scholarship from the State Govt. to pursue their education. The students who have passed from the College have achieved prestigious position in the society. The alumni of the college are many renowned Politicians, Editors, Police Officers, Administrators etc.
The institution is situated in the centre of the city in a campus of approx. 3.5 acres. The College has a magnificent building situated in a lush green, eco-friendly campus with a playground, and well developed vehicle parking sheds. The building comprises of six blocks and a separate two storeyed library, two large seminar halls. At present in Arts faculty 01 UG, 11 PG and 01 Doctoral Programme are available. In Commerce faculty there are 02 UG, 01 PG and 01 Diploma programme. In Science faculty 02UG, 05 PG, and 01 PG Diploma, 01 Doctoral programme is there. In Law faculty 01 UG and 01 PG course is offered. Thus the college has 03 UG Departments, 18 PG Departments.
Highly qualified, devoted and motivated faculty is another major feature of the college. At present there are 75 members of which - 79% are Ph. D holders. The faculty members are constantly engaging in research activities, attending seminars, conferences and workshops, publishing research papers in national and international journals and undertaking research projects with financial assistance from UGC and CGCOST. 24 members of the faculty are registered as guides. The department of Mathematics, Commerce and English are recognised as research centers of the College. The college has the distinction of being the only institution imparting UG and PG programmes in diverse disciplines such as Arts, Science, Commerce, and Law in the District.
The central library of the college has a good collection of books and research journals as well as reference books. It has also the facility of N-List connectivity of INFLIBNET through which e-books and e-journals can be accessed. Thus it promotes the research facilities to the students as well as to the faculties.
The working hours of the college are from 7.30 AM to 4.40 PM. The classes of the Law faculty, Commerce and MSW are held in the morning session. All the other classes commence from 10.20 AM to 4.20 PM. The classes are conducted regularly in the college as per the Time Table. There is a healthy teaching learning environment in the college. The college has one NSS and one NCC (Girls) and one NCC (Naval) Boys unit. These units engage in extension activities thus inculcating moral values and leadership skills among the students.